Junior Theatre Arts major Christy Stone is playing two major roles in Calvary Theatre’s next production, Silent Sky. Unusual? Maybe! First, she’s playing the role of Henrietta Leavitt, the woman who in 1912 discovered how to measure the universe. That was no small feat, and required countless hours of reading, measuring, and making calculations from glass photographic plates taken with Harvard Observatory’s Great Refractor Telescope.
Her second role requires no less of a commitment! She’s spending countless hours bringing the Harvard Observatory to life as its set designer. As a result of Christy’s talent and love for set design, she was chosen to design the set and began collaborating with the production’s director, Theatre Arts chair Bobbie Jeffrey, and the production’s technical director, Theatre Arts faculty Kaleb Krahn, back in June of this year.
Christy also serves as Resident Assistant on the third floor of the Calvary dorm. Her girls love her, we love her, and you will, too! Make sure to see this talented young lady as she brings this incredibly moving story to life.
“Because wonder will always get us there…those of us who insist that there is much more beyond ourselves…”
Over one hundred years ago, a young astronomer by the name of Henrietta Leavitt discovered how to measure the universe! Her accomplishments have remained largely uncelebrated until recent times. Calvary University Theatre Arts is excited to produce the extraordinary story of the woman who produced the body of research that made modern space exploration possible. Living in a time when women were still fighting for the right to vote, she did it all without the use of the telescope, an instrument forbidden for Henrietta and all women of the early twentieth century to use. Think what she could have done with the Hubble!
Join us to wonder! Move into a deeper experience of the handiwork of God!
- Liberty Chapel, 15790 Elmwood, Kansas City, MO 64147
- Evening Performances:
- Friday, October 14, 7:30 p.m. Doors open at 6:45 p.m.
- Saturday, October 15, 7:30 p.m. Doors open at 6:45 p.m.
- Matinee Performances:
- Thursday, October 13, 11:00 a.m. Doors open at 10:30 a.m.
- Sunday, October 16, 2:00 p.m.
- Ticket information:
- Tickets are $12 for adults, $9 for students/seniors for all performances except the $7 matinee on Thursday, October 13th.
- Advance tickets available online at calvary.edu/arts
- For information and discounts for groups of 10 or more, call 816-322-5152, ext. 1360
Silent Sky is produced by special arrangement with Dramatists Play Service, Inc., New York