Library and Clark Academic Center
Serving Calvary University
The Hilda Kroeker Library is home to more than 40,000 books, e-books, and audio visual materials.The library primarily serves the needs of Calvary University students. Faculty, staff, and alumni, may also use the collection free of charge.
The library is a participating member of the Kansas City Public Library’s Library Services Program Consortium (KCPL-LSP). This partnership allows students and faculty the ability to access materials from the local area that are not available at the Hilda Kroeker Library. The Mid-America Library Alliance (MALA) Courier Service serves as the link to these resources. In addition, interlibrary loan requests for materials that are located outside the KCPL-LSP consortium can be made by contacting library staff directly or via email.
Approximately 50 percent of the resource center is devoted to Bible and theology. The collection includes not only the works of classical and contemporary Bible scholars but also important primary source materials and technical biblical language tools. The Library has access to periodical databases, both secular and theological.
The Library is a member of the Kansas City Public Library Consortium. The membership in the Consortium gives students access to over 2.5 million resources. Calvary also has membership in the Kansas City Metropolitan Library Information Network. These memberships provide access to the resources available in over 22 public and private libraries in the Kansas City area, including the online search services of the Kansas City Public Library Consortium.
Online catalog service to consortium members is provided through terminals in the Library, and courier service brings the resources to the Calvary campus twice a week.
Who was Hilda Kroeker?
The campus library is named after Miss Hilda Kroeker, the first degreed librarian of Calvary at its present location. Miss Kroeker served over 20 years of faithful and dedicated service. She did much for the library that makes it what it is today. On April 4, 2001, Calvary had “Hilda Kroeker Day” and honored her for her years of service to the Library and to Calvary. Miss Kroeker went to be with her Savior in January of 2009.
Cycle 2-5 Library Hours
Monday – Thursday 7:45am-9:00pm
Cycles 1 and 6 Library Hours
Monday – Thursday 8:00am-5:00pm
Friday – Sunday closed
Between Cycles, J-Term, and Spring Break Library Hours
Monday – Friday 8:00am-5:00pm
Saturday – Sunday closed
September 3 closed (Labor Day)
November 21-24 closed (Thanksgiving)
December 24-26 closed (Christmas)
December 31-January 2 closed (New Year’s)
January 21 closed (MLK Day)
Contact the Library Staff
The Clark Academic Center (CAC)The CAC is designed for all students and is ready to assist in any academic area.
The Clark Academic Center is located in the Library and Clark Academic Center, next door to the Student Life Center.
The Center is designed for all students and is ready to assist in any academic area; graduate students are also encouraged to use our services. Instead of worrying or stressing about assignments, come to the Clark Academic Center for expert help!
We provide a friendly atmosphere with tutors who really want to assist students. Our focus is on ministering to Calvary students to facilitate their academic success while providing encouragement and academic resources. Our primary specialty is providing paper editing and Turabian Style formatting for class and research essays. In addition, students may email their work for checking; tutors try to return them within 48 hours. We also help students with disabilities by offering services such as special computer software, e-books (from the library), and test or exam proctoring.
We are committed to encouraging and serving students! Come by to get academic help; study in one of our study rooms; or enjoy free cookies, coffee, tea, and candy!
Free tutoring is available for:
- Building writing skills
- Honing Turabian skills for undergraduate and graduate students
- Improving study skills
- Managing time skills
- Enhancing reading skills
- Graduate thesis and dissertation help
- Other services include exam proctoring and learning style accommodations.
Thomas Crank, Director
For over ten years, Thomas has been helping students improve their writing, get grammar, and gain academic confidence. Before becoming the current Director of the Clark Academic Center, Thomas tutored for a college writing center, taught composition at the collegiate and high school level, taught English in China, and started a tutoring business. He is the author of The Writer’s Sketchbook: Weird Worlds and The Writer’s Sketchbook: A Volatile Adventure.
Karinna is an Intercultural Studies major from Foster City, California, who hopes to do something that ties together her passions for God, people, culture, and science. She loves to see people accomplish the things that they struggle to do, which is why she enjoys working in the Academic Center.
Celeste is an Elementary Education major who hopes to teach in Papua New Guinea at a New Tribes Missions school. She enjoys many aspects of working in the CAC, some of which are enabling students to grow, growing personally, practicing tap routines while filling up the water pitcher, drinking tea, and eating cookies.
Brooke is from Kansas City, Missouri and is studying Biblical Counseling. She hopes to counsel teens and young adults in the future after she graduates from Calvary. Along with helping others, she is passionate about reading, writing, photography, and music. She is excited to help students grow academically as she begins her first year of tutoring at the Center.
Jordan is an Advanced Biblical Studies major who is also earning an English minor. He plans to teach English to people in another country and use this opportunity to witness about Christ. As he works in the CAC, he enjoys helping others, learning as he teaches, watching students succeed, and eating cookies.
Contact the CAC Staff
Calvary is part of the Kansas City Public Library-Library Services Program (KCPL-LSP) library consortium, which allows members of the Calvary community the ability to borrow books from consortium members. This is done through the courier service, KCMLIN. In addition, students and faculty are able to submit requests to the library for materials that are unavailable within the consortium. Galaxie Theological Journal Library and ProQuest Research Library are accessible in the library and on the homepage of your Student Portal or Faculty Portal.
- Online Catalog
- EBSCO Research Database
- Subject Guides
- Bielefeld Academic Search Engine (BASE) www.base-search.net
- BFI National Archive collections-search.bfi.org.uk/web
- BioMed Central www.biomedcentral.com
- The British Library www.bl.uk
- British Library Digital Book Image Collection www.flickr.com/photos/britishlibrary
- CAMIO® OCLC’s catalog of Art Museum Images Online camio.oclc.org
- Canadian Architectural Archives caa.ucalgary.ca
- Catholic Encyclopedia www.catholicity.com/encyclopedia
- The Collection: A Gathering of Scholarship from the Folger Shakespeare Library collation.folger.edu/2014/08/free-cultural-works-come-get-your-free-cultural-works
- Christian Classics Ethereal Library www.ccel.org
- Classic Christian Library www.classicchristianlibrary.com
- Contagion http://ocp.hul.harvard.edu/contagion/index.html
- Department of Energy OpenNet System www.osti.gov/opennet/index.jsp
- Digital Commons Network network.bepress.com/
- DigitalNZ www.digitalnz.org
- Directory of Open Access Journals doaj.org
- Directory of Open Access Books doabooks.org
- Elsevier B.V. www.elsevier.com/online-tools/reaxys
- ERIC www.eric.ed.gov
- Expeditions and Discoveries ocp.hul.harvard.edu/expeditions/index.html
- FDsys – GPO Federal Digital System www.gpo.gov/fdsys
- The Free Library www.thefreelibrary.com
- Federal Reserve Economic Data (FRED) research.stlouisfed.org
- Google Scholar scholar.google.com
- GPO Monthly Catalog catalog.gpo.gov/F
- Global Database on the Right to Education www.unesco.org/education/edurights/index.php?action=home&Ing=en
- Gutenberg-e www.gutenberg-e.org/index.html
- Handbook of Latin American Studies (HLAS Online) lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/pushcookie?BASE-URL=http://ccc.idm.oclc.org
- HighWire highwire.stanford.edu/lists/browse.dtl
- Images from the History of Medicine www.nlm.nih.gov/hmd/ihm/index.html
- Immigration to the United States, 1789-1930 ocp.hul.harvard.edu/immigration
- International Mission Photography Archive (IMPA) digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/landingpage/collection/p15799coll123
- Internet Archive archive.org
- Islamic Heritage Project ocp.hul.harvard.edu/ihp
- Jewish Encyclopedia www.jewishencyclopedia.com
- JURN www.jurn.org/#gsc.tab=0
- Leo Baeck Institute Library German-Jewish Periodicals archive.org/details/lbiperiodicals
- Lit2go etc.usf.edu/lit2go
- Making of America Journals ebooks.library.cornell.edu/m/moa
- Many Books manybooks.net
- Mary Ann Liebert, Inc. www.liebertpub.com/publications/aspx
- MERLOT Collection www.merlot.org/merlot/index.htm
- Middle English Compendium quod.lib.umich.edu/m/mec
- OAlster oaister.worldcat.org
- OECD iLibrary www.oecd-ilibrary.org
- Online Books Page onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu
- Online Catalog kcmo.ent.sirsi.net/client/en_US/cbclibrary/
- Open Culture www.openculture.com
- Open Humanities Press openhumanitiespress.org
- Open Library openlibrary.org
- Open Textbook Library open.umn.edu/opentextbooks
- Open Textbooks oerconsortium.org/discipline-specific
- Perseus Digital Library catalog.perseus.org
- Project Gutenberg www.gutenberg.org
- Project REVEAL (Read and View English & American Literature) hrc.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/reveal#nav_top
- Public Domain Review repec.org
- PubMed www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
- Read Print www.readprint.com
- SpringerOpen www.springeropen.com/
- Thesaurus Linguae Graecae (TLG®) www.tlg.uci.edu
- University of Adelaide Press www.adelaide.edu.au/press
- USC Digital Library digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm
- Wright American Fiction webapp1.dlib.indiana.edu/TEIgeneral/welcome.do?brand=wright
- ACLS Humanities eBook (on campus only) https://quod.lib.umich.edu/a/acls?page=simple
- Bildi http://www.uibk.ac.at/bildi/bildi/search/index.html.en
- Electronic Journals Library http://rzblx1.uni-regensburg.de/ezeit/search.phtml?bibid=AAAAA&colors=5&lang=en
- eThOS http://ethos.bl.uk/Home.do
- HathiTrust https://www.hathitrust.org
- J-Stage https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/browse
- Journals for Free http://www.journals4free.com/
- Louis F. Benson Collection of Hymnals and Hymnology http://commons.ptsem.edu/benson
- Open Access Theses and Dissertations http://oatd.org
- SABINET http://www.journals.co.za/content/publications
- Theological Commons (Princeton Theological Seminary) http://commons.ptsem.edu
- Torrosa http://www.torrossa.it/pages/ipplatform/home.faces