The Ministry Studies Department program and concentrations are designed to equip students with the essential academic, interpersonal, and practical skills to serve as pastors, associate pastors, missionaries, and ministry directors in local churches and parachurch organizations. Each program combines extensive classroom instruction by ministry-seasoned professors and supervised ministry experiences (i.e., internships) with experienced ministry leaders in order to give students the necessary biblical and practical understanding of ministry in today’s world. The program has multiple concentrations.
Ministry Studies Program and Concentrations:
- Ministry Studies, Baccalaureate Degrees
- Ministry Studies
- Children’s Ministry
- Intercultural Studies
- Pastoral Ministry (Bachelor of Arts)
- Pastoral Ministry (Bachelor of Science)
- Youth Ministry
- Youth Ministry – Worship Arts
- Ministry Studies, Associate’s Degree
- Children’s Ministry
- Ministry Studies
Ministry Studies Objectives
The Ministry Studies student will:
- Demonstrate the Christian Character qualities essential for Christian ministry.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the theology, theories, methodologies, and skills essential for effective Christian ministry leadership.
- Develop effective communication skills essential for Christian ministry.
- Develop basic interpersonal skills necessary for addressing the spiritual needs of people.
- Acquire basic ministry skills under the guidance of a mature, seasoned professional supervisor in the kind of ministry setting anticipated after graduation.
Ministry Studies Special Requirements
- A supervised internship in a ministry setting appropriate to the enrolled emphasis is required for Pastoral Ministry, Intercultural Studies, and Youth Ministry students.
- A Senior Seminar oral examination is required for Pastoral Ministry, Intercultural Studies, and Youth Ministry students.
- A grade of C or higher is required in BL232, Greek II, and in each succeeding Greek course before taking the next level Greek course for Pastoral Ministry students.
- A GPA of 2.5 or higher must be maintained in all Ministry Studies courses for Pastoral Ministry students.
Ministry Studies FacultyClick on a Picture to Contact Ministry Studies Faculty
Mr. Shaun LePage
Associate VP of Marketing and Communications, Department Chair of Ministry Studies, Instructor of Ministry Studies
Dr. Mike Dodds
Director of the CU Press, Professor of Ministry Studies
Mr. Joshua Paxton
Director of the Burnham Center for Global Engagement; Assistant Professor of Intercultural Studies
Dr. Tom Stolberg
Professor of Music
Dr. Randall DeVille
Adjunct Faculty, Ministry Studies
Ministry StudiesDepartmental Blog
Josh Paxton teaching recently in an Intercultural Studies classroom. Where is the School? With Calvary’s Conference on Global Engagement just around the corner, Josh Paxton, Director of the Burnham Center for Global Engagement, is gearing up for the conference’s Think...
"...And behold, a throne was standing in heaven, and One sitting on the throne.” Revelation 4:2“Why are You silent?” Pastor Richard Wurmbrand asked God this question in the midst of his sermon. But this was not the typical new year’s sermon. The message was delivered...
The names and titles for God found in the Bible are carefully brushed strokes on the canvas of God’s most awesome work: The revelation of Himself. Shakespeare’s Juliet asked, “What’s in a name?” The irony of the question lies in the fact that her name was her biggest...
Calvary University’s Intercultural Studies, Education, and TESOL studies programs are teaming up to provide a conversational English program at Cuatro Christian Academy in the Philippines in the summer of 2020!
Dr. Christopher Cone (seated, left), President of Calvary University, and Reese Kauffman (seated, right), President of Child Evangelism Fellowship®, signed a Strategic Partnership Agreement this week giving CEF's workers in the St. Louis area, and around the world,...
CU ranks in the top 15 online ministry degrees in the nation Calvary University’s graduate Ministry and Pastoral Leadership programs have once again been recognized among the nation’s best. "Like other BDC rankings," according to BDC, "editors began by researching...
Almost a year ago, Calvary entered into a partnership with Greek Bible College in Athens to allow our students the opportunity to spend up to year studying abroad in Greece. This partnership came on the heels of recent opportunities that Calvary has had to take...