The mission of the English Department is to produce graduates who can speak and write for various audiences and purposes with clarity, creativity, and sound research according to the Biblical worldview.
- English: Literature
- English: Creative Writing
Professional Directed Studies (PDS) Programs Offered:
- PDS: Communications
- PDS: Modern Languages – French
- PDS: Modern Languages – German
- PDS: Modern Languages – Spanish
- ENGLISH LITERATURE, Minor; Total Hours – 21 hours; See Interdisciplinary Studies for list of courses.
- ENGLISH CREATIVE WRITING, Minor; Total Hours – 21 hours; See Interdisciplinary Studies for list of courses.
See Professional Directed Studies (PDS) and Interdisciplinary Studies sections for course lists.
Mr. Thomas Crank
Department Chair of English, Assistant Professor of English
Mr. Timothy Hange
TESOL Coordinator, Assistant Professor of English
Mrs. Valerie Piercey
Director of Institutional Effectiveness; Assistant Professor of Education
English Department Objectives
The English Department will produce graduates who are able to:
- Critically read and analyze a wide variety of literature in their historical and cultural contexts.
- Engage in an effective writing process and tailor writing/speaking for various audiences and purposes.
- Evaluate diverse literary perspectives according to the Biblical worldview.
- Develop and execute original research projects following appropriate and ethical practices.
The first volume of The Warrior's Pen is now available for download. The editorial board has been hard at work, editing, compiling, and designing this issue. We are incredibly excited to bring you the best writing from Calvary students. This first issue includes...
If the churches Hughes attended were less focused on numbers of “converts” and numbers of dollars, perhaps they would have seen a searching soul.Amanda Harman is a student at Calvary and is from Colorado Springs, CO. She loves to play her violin and entertain friends...
Student Mike Burke, author of "Crowdfunded", pictured rehearsing the role of El Gallo for Calvary's upcoming production of The Fantasticks. Burke inspired by Calvary's English and Theatre Departments by Amanda Harman The year is 2038. An intense battle is raging...
Amanda Harman Harman's short story, "Three Walls," was named Most Creative. Calvary Junior Amanda Harman recently won “Most Creative” in a short story contest by online literary magazine Bottom Shelf Whiskey. Harman studies in Calvary’s English & Communications...
Calvary TESOL professor Tim Hange takes new role in English and Communications Department. Tim Hange joined Calvary’s faculty in 2017 as International Student Services Director and TESOL Coordinator. In the Fall 2020 semester, Hange will be joining the English and...
Student uses collaborative degree program to grow academically and spiritually. Rebekah Crawford is a senior at Calvary pursuing a double major through Professional Directed Studies (PDS). She said she chose an English degree, “because I had enjoyed both reading and...