Select Page

Parent Resources

Q: What kind of financial aid is available at Calvary?

Calvary offers financial assistance to students, including federal grants, loans, and institutional scholarships. For more information visit the Financial Aid page.

Q: Can you help my student find a job?

We would love to!  Calvary offers a variety of opportunities for students to work on campus. For more information, please visit the Student Jobs page.

Q: What is the Social Activity and Project Fee?

The Social Activity and Project fee is a non-refundable semester fee assessed to all students.  Funds are disbursed to Classes and Student Senate organizations to provide for projects and activities.

Q: What is the Student Services Fee?

The Student Services Fee is a non-refundable fee that provides partial funding for non-instructional functions such as registration, fine arts series performances, library use, chapel, lecture series, security, class dues, social funds, intramural sports/athletics, admission to on-campus intercollegiate athletic events, ID cards, and mail service.

For more information about tuition costs and fees please visit the Tuition and Fees page.


Q: If my student becomes ill, what are the options at Calvary?

If your student is a resident in the dorms, they should begin with contacting their Residence Assistant (RA).  Our RAs are equipped to care for your student’s basic/non-emergency needs. If your student needs medical attention, their RA will ensure that your student is taken to a local urgent care center or the emergency room.  (Note:  We do not require this of students, but a helpful tip may be to encourage your student to share an emergency contact with their roommate and/or RA.)

Q: Does my student need to carry an insurance card?

Calvary University strongly recommends that all students carry health insurance that covers them in the Kansas City area. (Many insurance plans do not provide coverage outside the “home” area, so it is important that you contact your insurance company to find out whether you will be covered in Kansas City.)

Does Calvary University offer insurance coverage to students?

Calvary does not offer insurance plans, but students may contact Heritage Benefit Consultants (816-322-6350) for information on Short-Term or Long-Term medical plans that would be suitable.  Students are responsible to obtain their own health coverage or notify Student Services that they do not plan to carry health insurance.

Q: What should my student do if they will miss chapel?

Your student is provided three unexcused absences per cycle and is required to use these for sick/personal days.  If an illness extends beyond three days, your student should email the Student Deans Office.   

Q: What should my student do if they will miss class?

Your student should refer to their course syllabus and adhere to the professor’s attendance policy.  If a doctor requires that your student miss class, please submit a copy of the doctor’s note to the Academic Office.

Q: Will someone stay with my student if they need to go to the hospital?

Student Services staff members will assist students in emergency situations.  You or your student should contact a resident assistant to help coordinate ongoing assistance.

Q: What if my student has a health need, but will stay in the residence dorms instead of staying in a hospital?

You or your student should contact a resident assistant to help coordinate.

Q: My student is contemplating a program change.  What services and resources are available to help my student with his or her decision?

Our Academic Advisor offers advising that includes academic coaching and the collaborative coordination of resources to help determine the major/program that is the best fit.

Q: What services and resources are available to support my student in his or her academics?

The Clark Academic Center wants to minister to your students to facilitate their academic success while providing encouragement and academic resources.  The CAC has tutors available to help with formatting and editing papers, research, stud, and more!  Your student can stop in anytime or contact the CAC.  For more information visit

Q: My student is struggling academically.  What advice do you recommend I provide?

  • If your student is struggling in a particular class, encourage your student to see or contact the professor of the class in which help is needed.  This contact information can be located on the course syllabus.  Our professors are committed to your student’s education and growth and will provide support for your student.
  • If your student is struggling overall academically, encourage your student to see or contact his or her academic advisor.  The student’s advisor provides assistance with studies in general and will be able to refer your student to the appropriate avenues or assistance (tutoring, discipleship, etc.).

Q: Can I get a record of my student’s grades?

Current students have access to prior grade reports through their Student Portal.  Transcript Request Forms are available at the Registrar’s Office or can be downloaded at

Q: What does academic probation mean?

Any applicant who does not meet the minimum academic standards, but who is accepted by the Admissions Committee, may be placed on academic probation. Students are limited to enrolling for no more than 12 hours, are expected to use The Clark Academic Center, and must achieve a 2.0 GPA.

Q: How does a student get off academic probation?

The Academic Probation Committee may state what academic progress will be required for students who cannot get off probation in one semester due to reduced academic load limits. Conditions of the plan will be presented in the probation notice and to the Academic Advisor of the student. Students on such an academic plan must be above 2.000 or higher each term the plan is in place. The plan may not exceed more than three semesters.

Q: Can I find out more about my student’s professors?

Yes!  Visit to meet the faculty at CU.

Q: How can I contact my student in the event of an emergency?

If students cannot be reached on their cell phone, contact Student Services by emailing the Student Deans Office or calling (816) 322-0110 ext. 1327. 

Q: What address do I use to mail items to a student?

You should use the following format to mail things to a student:

  • Student’s Name
  • 15800 Calvary Road
  • Kansas City MO 64147
  • *Do not use their dorm room number.
Q: What should my child bring when moving into the Residence dorms?

Some things CU recommends that your student brings when moving into the Residence dorms include (but not limited to): a bible, bedding (full sized for single rooms; twin sized for double rooms), things to personalize their room, personal computer/laptop.  For a more extensive list visit the Residence Hall Dorms page under “Housing” in the Student Life section on Calvary’s website.

Q: What local churches does Calvary recommend?

Find a list of suggested churches and more here: 

Download (PDF, 5.1MB)

Q: Is there somewhere on campus that I can stay when I visit my student?

  • You may reserve a guest room, located on the first floor of the Residence Hall Dorm by contacting CU’s Main Switchboard (816) 322-0110.  Guest rooms are $45 per night and are furnished and stocked with bedding and towels to accommodate your stay.  Please note that space is limited. 
  • For $10 per night, you may stay in your student’s room provided you are the same gender as your student.  When staying in your student’s room as a guest we provide a mattress, but you must bring bedding and all other necessities.

Q: What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal act that prohibits the release of any educational records except those listed as Directory Information (see below) as defined by the act without the express written authorization of the student involved. Forms are available in the Registrar’s Office to allow the release of information to the person(s) designated on the form.

Q: What student information can be released?

Directory Information: Items in education records of students that would not generally be considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. Typical items include name, address, date, and place of birth, major field(s) of study, enrollment status, awards and honors received, or degrees conferred. Directory information about a student may be released unless the student has submitted a written request that we not do so.

Q: Will I be notified if my child is hurt or in danger?

In the event of a potentially life-threatening emergency, FERPA does allow parents or guardians to be notified without prior consent from the student. CU has an emergency notification policy for this type of situation. Further, if a hospital or police agency is involved, those agencies have their own protocols for notifying parents.

Main Switchboard: 816-322-0110

Cashier: Ext. 1310

Financial Aid: Ext. 1323

Registrar: Ext. 1306

Academic Advisor: Ext. 1341

Student Services: Ext. 1327