Day 9 – Wednesday, Dec 13
The Christmas season is a time of joy and blessing, but for many, it can be a difficult time. Consider Mary. Being chosen to be the mother of the Messiah brought both blessing and complications into her life.
In Luke, Mary responds to Gabriel’s announcement that she will have a son by asking, “How can I have a child? I have not known a man.” When Gabriel told her she would conceive by the Holy Spirit, her response was immediate acceptance, “be it unto me according to Thy word.”
Can you imagine the flood of emotions she would have had? “Who am I, that God would choose me to be the mother of the Messiah? But then, how will I explain this to Joseph? Who will believe me? Oh, Father God, help me!”
God, in His mercy and grace, shows Mary His tender care:
- by revealing to Mary she is chosen to give birth to the Messiah. Luke 1:26-38
- by Elizabeth sharing her perfect understanding of how Mary was blessed by the LORD with a special child. Luke 1:39-45
- by revealing to Joseph that Mary’s conceiving was by the Holy Spirit, and not to fear marrying her. Matt. 1:18-25
- by relocating Joseph and Mary to Bethlehem, away from the shame of their hometown. Luke 2:1-7
- by sending angels to announce the birth of the Savior to shepherds who came and shared this with Mary. Luke 2:8-18
Luke 2:19 tells us that Mary kept and pondered all these things in her heart. She had every human reason to fear, but more reasons to be comforted and know she had God’s approval and acceptance.
When God takes us through hard times, like Mary, He will take special care of us. We need to look for His help and comfort. He will support us in ways we cannot imagine. It’s His way. God-appointed hardships can bring added blessings. We just need to look for them. IT’S HIS WAY!
Joe Everett, Director of Christian Ministry