Website City Union Mission
Hope Lives Here
To lead the development and facilitation of all Vanderberg Youth Center (VYC) recreational programs, activities and services, focused on engaging students in activities that improve their social, emotional, and physical health and well-being. Work under the direction of the VYC Administrator to plan and coordinate after-school and summer program recreational activities for school age children and youth ages 7-15.
· Lead and facilitate the creation, planning, and implementation of recreational programs and activities, including, sports, fitness, arts, crafts, culinary arts, visual arts and more. Coordinate opportunities for students with parents, to spend time engaged in recreational fun activities.
· Coordinates facility scheduling; acquiring necessary supplies and equipment; planning for set-up and clean-up; supervising all activities at the time of the program; working with the VYC Administrator on scheduling, transportation needs, safety precautions, evaluations, and final program needs.
· Assist VYC Administrator lead chapel services, providing spiritual guidance, mentorship, and counseling to youth as needed to help them grow in their relationship with God and navigate life’s challenges from a biblical perspective. Prepared to share the gospel as opportunities arise.
· Function as a positive contributing staff member of City Union Mission by engaging in timely communication, active participation in meetings, strategic planning, data management, supplying accurate reports, and problem solving to ensure unity with the purpose and goals of the Mission.
· Assist VYC team to manage and monitor behavior, implementing discipline, assisting with transportation, supervising volunteers, completing paperwork, plan education field trips, and helping with other administrative and building duties.
· Complete and maintain accurate paperwork for purchasing, data tracking, transportation, and other requisite areas, as well as assist with VYC transportation.
· Follow defined policy and procedures to implement the use of healthy and effective evidence-based behavior management and disciplinary practices with youth participants when needed.
· Help maintain Health Department standards daily in all areas of the kitchen by overseeing the serving of food for shelter guests and staff as prepared by the cooks during assigned meals, supervise/clean kitchen, putting food away properly, and helping to keep things organized, cleaned and off the floor as needed.
· Schedule and coordinate field trips for school-year and summer programming.
· Perform other duties as required.
City Union Mission Requirements:
· Be a born again, mature Christian able to clearly communicate the Gospel as opportunities arise during the workday. (1 Peter 2:21, 3:15)
· Have a desire to serve the Lord through widely varied responsibilities to advance ministry to those currently homeless, and the urban poor of Kansas City, with a compassionate heart.
· Agree to City Union Mission’s Statement of Ministry:
o Be a genuine believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, as expressed by personal testimony and conduct.
o Be a member in good standing of a recognized protestant, evangelical church for one year or more.
o Have a genuine concern for the ministry of City Union Mission.
o Have a minimum of one year of sobriety from alcohol and drugs and six months from tobacco.
o Agree to abstain from alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, and tobacco while employed by City Union Mission.
o Have a lifestyle that is free of sexual sin as clearly defined in the Bible.
· Must be available to work a flexible schedule primarily in the afternoon and evening between 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM on Mon-Fri. Work schedule may include some Saturday mornings from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM and holidays.
· Demonstrate strong communication and interpersonal skills.
· Be insurable as a Mission driver (clear driving record, age 21 or older).
· Must be able to operate company vehicle, commonly a 15-passenger van.
· Obtain a manager’s level food safety certification from either the health department or ServSafe within 90 days of employment start date as a condition of continued employment.
· Maintain ServSafe or equivalent credentials as required by health department.
Education and Experience:
· Required: Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education, Sports Recreation, Art/Music Therapy, Fitness Training, or related field and at least 4+ years of work experience with at-risk youth.
· Prolonged periods of sitting/standing/kneeling, etc.
· Ability to ascend/descend stairs multiple times throughout shift.
· Must be able to lift 50 pounds at times.
· Must be able to operate motor vehicle, such as 15-passenger van.
· Ability to drive to our campuses in Kansas City and in Warsaw.
· Ability to drive to colleges and universities within a two-hour radius for campus recruiting.
To apply for this job email your details to HR@cityunionmission.org