The mission of the English and Communications Department is to produce graduates who can speak and write for various audiences and purposes with clarity, creativity, and sound research according to the Biblical worldview.
- English: Literature
- English: Creative Writing
Professional Directed Studies (PDS) Programs Offered:
- PDS: Communications
- PDS: Modern Languages – French
- PDS: Modern Languages – German
- PDS: Modern Languages – Spanish
- ENGLISH LITERATURE, Minor; Total Hours – 21 hours; See Interdisciplinary Studies for list of courses.
- ENGLISH CREATIVE WRITING, Minor; Total Hours – 21 hours; See Interdisciplinary Studies for list of courses.
See Professional Directed Studies (PDS) and Interdisciplinary Studies sections for course lists.
Mr. Thomas Crank
Interim Department Chair of English & Communications, Assistant Professor of English
TESOL Coordinator, Assistant Professor of English & Communications
English & Communications Objectives
The English & Communications Department will produce graduates who are able to:
- Critically read and analyze a wide variety of literature in their historical and cultural contexts.
- Engage in an effective writing process and tailor writing/speaking for various audiences and purposes.
- Evaluate diverse literary perspectives according to the Biblical worldview.
- Develop and execute original research projects following appropriate and ethical practices.
English & CommunicationsDepartmental Blog
Amanda Harman Harman's short story, "Three Walls," was named Most Creative. Calvary Junior Amanda Harman recently won “Most Creative” in a short story contest by online literary magazine Bottom Shelf Whiskey. Harman studies in Calvary’s English & Communications...
Calvary TESOL professor Tim Hange takes new role in English and Communications Department. Tim Hange joined Calvary’s faculty in 2017 as International Student Services Director and TESOL Coordinator. In the Fall 2020 semester, Hange will be joining the English and...
Student uses collaborative degree program to grow academically and spiritually. Rebekah Crawford is a senior at Calvary pursuing a double major through Professional Directed Studies (PDS). She said she chose an English degree, “because I had enjoyed both reading and...