Calvary University believes and maintains that the revelation contained in the Scriptures concerning God, man, and man’s problems and their solution is the only adequate foundation on which to build a counseling model.
The Biblical Counseling Department teaches and practices counseling approaches and methods from a Biblical worldview regarding human growth and development, behavioral changes, marriage and family, crisis intervention, human trafficking, substance abuse, and problem-solving in counseling.
The Biblical Counseling Department does not just simply integrate models and theories into each of our courses, but we undergird each course with the very foundation of sacred Scripture. Every single course in our department is geared to reinforce and challenge our students to counsel from a Biblical worldview…all to the glory of God.
Biblical Counseling Department Objectives
To enable the student to articulate a biblical philosophy of counseling.
To challenge the student to demonstrate Christian character qualities necessary for a Biblical counseling ministry.
To provide the student with a basic knowledge of the counseling process.
To assist the student in identifying people problems.
To help the student develop communication skills needed for counseling one-on-one and in small group situations.
All Biblical Counseling Majors must take the following courses:
- CO244 Introduction To Biblical Counseling
- CO245 History of Psychological Systems
- CO246 Theological Foundations of Biblical Counseling
- CO331 Group Counseling Practicum
- CO345 Marriage and Family
- SS249 Conflict Resolution
- SS324 Human Growth and Development
- RP343 Ethics and Biblical Counseling
- CO449 Senior Counseling Project
- Senior Counseling Internship
Biblical Counseling Electives
Biblical counseling majors also choose from the following electives in their Biblical Counseling program:
- CO247 Counseling Cross-Culturally (J-Term)
- CO342 Developing A Biblical Counseling Center
- CO432 Crisis Counseling
- CO438 Substance Abuse
- CO340 Counseling Youth
- CO346 Counseling Depression
- CO436 Death, Dying, and Grief Counseling
- CO347 Counseling The Non-Traditional Family
- CO446 Counseling Topics
- CO340 Counseling Youth
- CO348 Counseling Troubling Emotions
Biblical Psychology Minor
The Biblical Psychology Minor, launching in Spring 2020, requires the following courses:
- Introduction To Research In Psychology
- Abnormal Psychology & The Biblical Worldview
- Social Psychology & The Biblical Worldview
- The Human Lifespan
- Physiological Psychology & The Biblical Worldview
- Human Sexuality & The Biblical Worldview
- General Psychology
Dr. Luther Smith
Undergraduate Biblical Counseling Department Program Director, Associate Professor of Biblical Counseling
B.A. Ashford University, 2008
M.A.C.P (Masters of Arts Clinical Psychology); M.R.S. (Master’s Religious Studies) Southern California Seminary, 2012
Psy. D (Doctorate of Psychology). Southern California Seminary, 2017
“The Scriptures are extremely important to all of the students and faculty here, and it is seen in the day-to-day interactions with one another here on campus.”