The Education Department prepares students to teach grades one through six (Elementary Education) or to teach Social Studies in grades nine through twelve (Secondary Education-Social Studies). The student who successfully completes one of these programs will be ACSI certified, which qualifies him to teach in private/Christian schools, and will also be eligible to apply for Missouri State Teacher Certification which qualifies him to teach in public schools. Both Ms. Henness and Mrs. Wieduwilt are members of the Missouri State Teachers Association and the Missouri Association of Colleges for Teacher Education. Calvary faculty actively encourages education students to join and participate in the student chapter of the MSTA.
|Teaching Faculty||Rose H. Henness, Sharon Wieduwilt, Dr. Tom Bonine, Anthony Mickelson, and other adjunct faculty|
|Department Chair||Rose H. Henness|
- That the pre-service teacher will articulate a biblical philosophy of education.
- That the pre-service teacher will demonstrate the biblical character traits which communicate value for the diversity, potential, and worth of his students.
- That the pre-service teacher will demonstrate his understanding of central concepts, tools of inquiry, and structures of the discipline(s) within the context of a global society along with the ability to create meaningful learning experiences for his students.
- That the pre-service teacher will understand how students learn and develop intellectually, socially, emotionally, and spiritually and demonstrate the ability to create a learning environment conducive to encouraging such development.
- Entry into the Education Program requires the successful completion of ED190, an Application for Admission to the Chair of the Education Department, and the recommendation of the Education Department Faculty Committee. The pre-service teacher must complete a background check according to Education Department guidelines and must pass a General Education Assessment.
- Education majors completing the program before Spring 2017 must maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher with no grade lower than 2.0 in all professional and content courses. Education majors completing the program in Spring 2017 or afterward must meet the following GPA requirements upon program completion: 2.75 cumulative, 3.00 in the content area, and 3.00 in professional education coursework.
- The pre-service teacher must create and maintain a professional portfolio of work samples.
- To become a Missouri State Certified Teacher, the student must pass the appropriate Praxis II Exam, apply for certification through the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) and be recommended for certification by the State Certification Officer for Calvary Bible College.
- To assure that the Calvary Bible College Pre-Service Teacher Candidate will be qualified for recommendation to the Missouri Department of Elementary & Secondary Education, teacher education majors must complete 30 hours of the Elementary Education courses (which includes ED courses, MU441, and PE344) or 16 hours of the Secondary Education courses plus their Field Experiences and Student Teaching at Calvary.